Age-Related Macular Degeneration (AMD) / Living with AMD
You don’t have to let AMD slow you down.
While there is currently no cure for age-related macular degeneration (AMD), it is still possible to limit the impact of the disease and maintain a normal and healthy lifestyle. Here are some tips that can help:
- Monitor your vision – Between regular visits with your eye care professional, you can test your vision using an Amsler grid.
- Eat healthy, live healthy – Stop smoking, control your cholesterol and blood pressure, wear sunglasses to protect your eyes from ultraviolet (UV) rays, and make sure your diet is rich with fruits and green, leafy vegetables.
- Consider low-vision aids – Bausch & Lomb makes a wide variety of magnifiers and other low-vision aids. You can find these on our website at www.bausch.com/va or call us toll-free at 1-800-452-6789.
- See your eye care professional regularly – Changes in your AMD can occur without you noticing and only a qualified eye care professional can detect these changes.
- Find a support group – There are many support programs available across the country to help you deal with the emotional stress of AMD. Click here to find a support group near you.
- Consider taking Bausch & Lomb PreserVision® Eye Vitamins – Only the original PreserVision® Eye Vitamin AREDS Formula Tablets have been clinically proven to reduce the risk of progression among people with moderate-to-advanced AMD in the National Eye Institute’s Age-Related Eye Disease Study (AREDS).1,2* Click here for a valuable coupon.
*This statement has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to cure, prevent, or treat any disease.
- Age-Related Eye Disease Study Research Group. A randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trial of high-dose supplementation with Vitamins C and E, beta carotene, and zinc for age-related macular degeneration and vision loss: AREDS Report No. 8. Arch Ophthalmol. 2001:119(10):1417-1436.
- PreserVision® Eye Vitamin AREDS Soft Gel formula. Bausch & Lomb Web site http://www.bausch.com/en/Our-Products/Eye-Vitamins/Age-Related-Eye-Vitamins-Landing/Preservision-eye-vitamins. Accessed January 7, 2010.